Looking for another way to give? Check out some of these ideas:
- Organize or participate in a Gingerbread House Auction where proceeds go to charity.
- Donate to your local humane society or SPCA - even if you can't afford a large financial contribution, they can always use toys, food, litter, etc. Give them a call and ask for a wishlist.
- Donate a toy to a needy child. If money is an issue, volunteer yourself as a gift-wrapper instead.
- Send a note of appreciation to your local fire or police station - optional: include a coffee gift card.
- Visit Canada's Write to the Troops message board and leave an encouraging note.
- February 25 is National Cupcake Day for Humane Societies and OSPCAs. Bake or buy cupcakes to support them. More information can be found here.
- Volunteer with your favourite organization
- Adopt an animal - either a real one or a stuffed creature from the World Wildlife Fund
- Leave random notes of thanks or support for family, friends, neighbours or other members of your community
- And don't forget, people eat all year, not just at Christmas. Support your local food bank year-round!
However you give back, you're making the world a better place, one small gesture at a time.