Monday 8 April 2013

Breakfast on the Go: Quinoa Granola

A while ago my cousin gave me a recipe for breakfast quinoa. It's cooked with milk, brown sugar and cinnamon, and then it can be topped with fruit or nuts, just like oatmeal. I love it, but I'm on the go a lot and I like food that can go with me. Breakfast quinoa technically should be refrigerated and topping it with fresh fruit means it doesn't last very long in the bottom of a warm purse. So I played around with some quinoa and came up with a version of breakfast quinoa that can go anywhere.  The recipe below has all of my favourite things in it, but you can use whatever nuts, seeds and dried fruit you like! Bonus, it has tons of good-for-you things in it and it fills you up! Try it - I promise you won't be disappointed!
 
Quinoa Granola
1/3  c   raw quinoa
1/4  c   flax seeds
1/4  c   pumpkin seeds
1/4  c   chopped pecans

1/4  c   sliced almonds
1/2  c   shredded coconut
1/4  c   raisins
1/4  c   dried cranberries
2     T   vegetable oil
1     T   honey
1     T   brown sugar
1     t    cinnamon
1/2  t    nutmeg
1/4  t    ginger
1/4  t    cloves

Rinse and cook quinoa as normal.
In a large bowl, mix cooked quinoa, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, pecans, almonds and shredded coconut. Stir in brown sugar and spices. In a separate bowl, mix together honey and oil. Pour over quinoa mixture and stir to coat. 
Spread mixture on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 325F for 45 minutes, stirring periodically. Remove from oven and stir in raisins and cranberries.
Allow granola to cool before storing in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment